Featured in Alltop StartUpRoar

Monday, January 2, 2012

Starting Off the Year: Healthcare with a Twist


It should not be a surprise to you to learn that I work heavily in the healthcare space.  I assist several types of businesses.  Some are startup, some not-for-profit, some make money, and some do not.  The people I work with are terrific.  They did not pay me to say this, but I did choose to work with them because they are terrific.  I met a lot of them at meetings!

I have discussed the importance of networking, knowing your markets, finding financing, and many other topics.  Each year that I manage to get an invitation to the JP Morgan Healthcare conference, I GO!  The reasons are rather simple:

·       Many healthcare companies from all over the world present their companies there; big, small, and not-for-profit.

·       Many investment groups set up off site office and schedule meeting back to back for the week. Others are on the floors and listening to the presentations.

·       The conference invites around 6K people, but large numbers of people with no invitation come to network BIG TIME.  They hang out in the lobby or other venues.

·       Nearly every company my clients want to partner with are there taking meetings to see what technologies are available. Last year alone I met with more than 10 Big Pharma companies.

·       There are at least 3 alternate healthcare conferences going on in other hotels.

·       I always meet new people that fit nearly every aspect of what may be needed in the future.

That is just a short list.  I have other reasons for going and have attended for many years.

You may not be in the healthcare space, but Apple has hosted conferences around the same time in the same city.  Other tech conferences are similar to the ones I attend and are located in nice places to visit. 

The point of this article is that for your New Year Resolution consider attending the most important conference in your field.  Use the meeting to NETWORK, IDENTIFY EMPLOYEES, FIND MONEY AND MEET POTENTIAL PARTNERS.  Get in the habit of seeking out the best places. Just showing up, you may improve your chances of success.



You can follow Taffy Williams on Twitter by @twilli2861 and you can email him with questions at twilli2861@aol.com and his company website  or photo website. You can also find him in the group Startup Group on Linkedin. Other articles can be found in the Charlotte, NC- small business section of Examiner.com. This blog is now listed on StartUpRoar  and on Alltop®.

No comments:

Post a Comment